A Brief History of St. Boniface
In 1950, a small congregation of people formed what is now called St. Boniface Episcopal Church. This small group began meeting in the living room of Lewis Allen Smith’s home. Malcolm Maynard, the Dean of All Saints’ Cathedral, conducted liturgical services.
The Smith home soon became too small and services were moved to the second floor of the Thiensville Village Hall (Fire Station). In 1951 the first vicar was appointed, The Rev. Erland L. Groton.
From the Village Hall, the congregation moved to larger quarters, the Jahn schoolhouse. In October of 1952 St. Boniface was admitted as a mission in union with the Diocese of Milwaukee. The church shared a vicar with St. James in West Bend – The Rev. Albert Meereboer.
In 1953, the congregation purchased the current five acre site, including a large farm house (the Place home). The house was remodeled for use as St. Boniface Church. The purchase price for the land was $16,500.
From 1955 – 1962 the parish was served by The Rev. James Ethan Allen, Vicar. Fr. Allen was much loved and respected.
In October of 1958, ground breaking ceremonies were held for the construction of the first church building. On June 28, 1959 the first service was celebrated in the new building.
In 1962, the Rev. James Richard Allen became vicar. The first parish house was constructed in 1966.
The Rev. William B. Olnhausen became vicar in 1968, and served as vicar until 1974. At the 1974 Diocesan Convention, St. Boniface was accepted as a parish. In the same month Fr. Olnhausen became the first rector of St. Boniface and served as rector until 1990.
In 1976, the west wing was added to provide classroom and office space. In 1987, the kitchen was remodeled, the sanctuary was enlarged, and the Cleaver room was built.
In 1990, after a three month search, The Rev. William J. Lambert the III was called as the second rector of St. Boniface. Fr. Lambert served St. Boniface from 1990 until April 15, 2007.
In April of 1999, the home directly west of the church property, 4004 W. Mequon Rd , was purchased in anticipation of its use as a rectory.
During Fr. Lambert’s tenure as rector, St. Boniface continued to experience growth. In August of 1999 St. Boniface began a capital campaign with plans to construct a new sanctuary at an estimated cost of $2,000,000.
After the success of the capital campaign came the ground breaking for the new sanctuary on a cold, wintry March day in 2001. The congregation celebrated Christmas services in the new sanctuary in December of 2001. The dedication of the new sanctuary was held on January 27, 2002.
Father Lambert continued to serve as rector until April of 2007.
During the search for a new rector St Boniface was served by The Rev. John Hickey, Priest-in-Charge.
On August 1, 2010 The Rev. Kenneth C. Miller accepted the call as the third rector of St. Boniface.
Fr. Miller’s installation was held on November 10, 2010.